For-Profit colleges have been in the news more often lately. Recently, the Federal Trade Commission filed suit against a for-profit college for misleading students. In addition to FTC actions, students who were misled may have private rights of action on various statutes that protect individuals against unfair trade practices. For instance, Florida’s Consumer Protection Statute broadly states “Unfair methods of competition, unconscionable acts or practices, and unfair or deceptive acts or practices in the conduct of any trade or commerce are hereby declared unlawful.” Section 501.204(1), Florida Statutes. If an individual files suit against a for-profit school and they can prove they were a victim of deceptive acts of practices, they may be entitled to damages, including a return of tuition. If you feel that you may be a victim of unfair or deceptive trade practices, contact an attorney and see what remedies you might have.
Welcome to Shakfeh Law Blog!
A legal blog touching on a range of topics with a focus on consumer protection, healthcare law, business, and just general tidbits in the life of an attorney.
Feel free to leave comments and participate in any discussion.
For-Profit Colleges and Consumer Lawsuits
HAVE SHAKFEH LAW CONTACT YOU
- Cyberlaw: What Should It Look Like? July 13, 2010
- Business Decision or Legal Decision? June 4, 2013
- “XYZ, Inc Is Suing Me For Debt, But I’ve Never Borrowed Money From Them…” February 20, 2012
- “Limited Time Offer” July 16, 2013
- Eye On The Young Attorney June 21, 2013
- For-Profit Colleges and Consumer Lawsuits February 2, 2016
- Unfair Hospital Bills in Florida June 15, 2015
- 3 Ways a Small Business Law Firm Understands Its Small Business Clients March 7, 2015
- Congratulations to Attorney Danya Shakfeh for Being Selected to Super Lawyers Illinois Rising Star List! January 15, 2015
- July 3, 2014
- Danya Shakfeh: Christopher,I am very sorry to hear that. I w...
- Christopher G. Halliday: I just went to get an oil change with a coupon tha...
- My Narcissistic Mother: Very Interesting! Thanks...
- Valerie: Have you ever considered about including a little ...
- Scott: Saved as a favorite, I really like your blog!...